Join our team!
Good Shepherd Volunteers is a small but mighty volunteer program headquartered in Queens, NY. We work with passionate 21-30 year olds who spend a year serving women, children and teens affected by violence, poverty, and neglect. Good Shepherd Volunteers was founded and is sponsored by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd and is open to all.
Working closely with the Executive Director and the part time Communications Coordinator, this position is responsible for providing support and programming to the volunteers and to their placement sites. The Program Coordinator creates an environment for volunteers to develop and grow both personally and professionally, particularly in our core values of simplicity, social justice, spirituality, and community.
- Design, plan and facilitate quarterly weekend retreat opportunities for volunteers, and yearly weeklong orientation
- Coordinate all retreat logistics, including booking presenters, transportation and retreat space
- Regularly check-in with volunteers to offer support, guidance, and encouragement for them to engage in each of the four tenets of the program. Provide 1-on-1 and group direction for volunteers
- Conduct annual site visits and evaluations at midyear and end of year for volunteers
- Work with partner agencies coordinate stipend payments, health insurance, housing needs, and other concerns for the volunteers
- Act as primary liaison with existing placement agencies, regularly checking in with site supervisors to ensure GSVs are developing professionally
- Act as primary liaison with GSV community support people and assist them in building relationships with their respective volunteer communities through regular communication
Recruitment and Placement
- Maintain relationships with interested applicants, communicating with them on a regular basis
- Assist with recruitment of new volunteers, screen applications, and interview candidates
- On board all new volunteers
- Participate in and support GSV development efforts
- Support GSV board committees as assigned
- Assist in tracking finances, billing sites, and keeping information up to date in the database
Experience and skills we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree or work experience in ministry, retreat planning, social services, residence hall management, volunteer management and education fields
- Completion of a faith-based volunteer service program like Good Shepherd Volunteers, or experience living in intentional community
- Willingness to grow in the GSV tenets of simplicity, social justice, spirituality, and community
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to travel, flexibility to work evenings and weekends
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive in NYC
- Our volunteers, and those communities they serve are diverse — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, and LGBTQ people. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities.
Salary & Benefits:
- Rate of pay is $20 an hour. This is a fulltime nonexempt (typically) 40 hour a week position.
- Flexible work schedule to accommodate for nights and weekends worked
- Health benefit plan including medical, dental, and vision; GSV pays 100% of premiums for individual coverage
- Retirement Savings Plan: 403(b)
- 12 paid holidays, 10 vacation days, 3 personal days, and 10 sick days annually
Location: Astoria, NY
Reports to: GSV Executive Director
How to apply:
Please send your resume and a detailed cover letter stating your interest in GSV and this role to the GSV Program Coordinator Search Committee at email@example.com. Please write “GSV Program Coordinator Search” and your name in the subject line of the email.